Friday, July 27, 2007

I really am on the right track...honest

I just wanted to show that I truly am trying to make better choices as far as food is concerned. I, for the second time, have made butter. This butter tastes far better than any you can get from the store. It is made from raw cream from grass fed Texas Jersey cows. My Mexican loves it...this is a picture of my second batch (the first one didn't last long enough to be immortalized):


My homemade butter


I am also including a picture of my sweet sourdough starter. (My pro-biotic starter is resting in the fridge.) This particular starter, who's name is SDS2 (SDS1 is the pro-biotic), is a sweet starter because it is feed not only with whole wheat flour and raw whole milk but also sugar. I know, "what about your diet", you ask. See, that's the good thing about sourdough, the yeast eats the sugar and digests it so that when it actually gets to your body it no longer is the same substance. The same goes for the flour and milk. The yeast creates beneficial bacteria that actually make breads and some sweets good for you. I do have a wheat allergy; but, I have found that sourdough/fermented breads and sweets do not have an effect on me. Just remember, not all sourdough bread is fermented...in order to reach fermentation of the whole loaf the dough must rest or proof for at least 8 hours. This is so that all of the flour and goodies that have been added to the starter have a chance to be ingested and digested by the yeast and happy bacteria. It truly makes for a good loaf of bread...and the occasional cookie. This picture is the same starter that I have kept going since my previous posts on fermented cookies and sourdough pro-biotic pancakes (you can see those posts here). Here is what it looks like playing in its room:


Sweet sourdough starter Notice how nice and bubbly it is. This lets you know that the yeast is active and giving off adequate gas.


Once I get SDS1 re-activated I will post a picture of him.


Powered by Qumana

No comments: