Saturday, July 03, 2010

New Yogurt Machine!!

Well, I have to say that I am a bit excited about my new yogurt machine. Don't let the name fool you...it does not make it for you. It is more of an incubator for your recipe. I made my first batch Thursday night and tried it for the finished product yesterday afternoon. It was not as thick as I would like; but, it has an awesome flavor! I am sorta experimenting with making traditional yogurt but with live active homebrewed kefir. I have found no recipes online for this other than just culturing the kefir until it is thick enough to be call yogurt. Well, I want a little more flavor than that; so, this was my first attempt...the major part of this recipe was provided by The Spunky Coconut so it is milk free with the exception of my added culture. The recipe goes as follows:


2 Cups Coconut Milk


2 Cups Almond Milk (home made)


1 TBS Vanilla


2 TBS Agave Nectar (orig recipe called for Honey; but, I'm trying to help my husband's blood sugar by using the Agave...one might want to try Brown Rice Syrup as well...but the intent is to avoid refined sugar here)


2 TBS Kefir whey


1 TBS Kefir solids



Okay, boil the coconut and almond milk until it reaches about 120 degrees. Add the vanilla and Agave nectar. Allow to cool to about 92 degrees and add Kefir whey and solids. Whisk until well incorporated. Pour into sterilized canning jars without their lids and place in the yogurt machine for 11 hours.








This is what it all looks like once inside the machine.


Once the time has elapsed then remove the jars from the machine and place lids on them. Chill in the refrigerator for about 7 hours.



After 7 hours this is what I had. It didn't stay solid enough to be called yogurt; but, it sure tasted great! It was more like a yogurt drink.



Well, I'm on my second batch. I decided not to go the milk free route. I only use raw milk; so, I decided to try again using it and a bit more kefir. I still made the almond milk but took out the coconut milk (so that if my sister wants to try it she can since she's allergic to coconut). So in place of the coconut milk I used 1 Cup whole Kefir and 1 1/2 Cups raw milk. I only simmered the almond milk not the raw milk or kefir...I want to keep all the goodness in my milk (I trust it's source and all the bacteria in the kefir will take care of any baddies).


So, it is all made and in the machine. I'll touch base with you tomorrow and let you know how this batch is:).

No comments: